Blog 4 Camera Woman

Artist Kirsten Johnson discussed a plethora of key elements to keep in mind while shooting. Such as the setting, the relationship between space and time and the physical approach to a new environment.
To begin Kirsten explained why she took the time to get to know the people she was working with before shooting them. She wanted to make sure they felt comfortable with her, so that the camera would be almost invisible once filming began. Similarly, I took this same approach during my interview project. In which I took the liberty to talk to my partner on the phone about important events in his life prior to recording the interview. It proved to be very sucessful strategy as my partner felt very comfortable with me during the interview. Overall, it was a smooth and natural process.

In addition I really enjoy the way she explained how we should use spaces to our best advantage. Such as moving around the room to maintain people's attentions. Instead of just sitting in the same place because people would get just get bored of the presentation.

To end I want to take Kirsten approach with space and time; while shooting documentaries to create a realistic experience for my viewers. Moreover, I want my audience to feel the same of conviction Kirsten was able to transpire to the entire lecture hall. Such actions will inspire more artist to get out of their comfort zone and take risk. As a matter of fact, it is this level of risky behavior what creates masterpieces.

Comments

Popular Posts